Rate Thread
#58536 06/16/10 07:54 PM
C
Conklin Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
C
Hello inliners. Starting this thread as a means to take some notes for future reference and to finalize what I'm actually spending money on.

Long story short, I'm looking at pulling and freshening up the 292 in my 1975 k20. This truck is mostly a offroader, but sees some of the usual truck tasks too. I have decided on keeping the 292 as it simply is a different style of driving. Everyone runs screaming v8's, and while I love them...thats another project. With the basic modifications the 292 is already a proven performer. I also think the 292 will be a very good setup later on when I get deeper into the offroad based mods.

Most of the basic modifications are already in place, so I have a decent starting point. The prerequisite boltons are already there...An offy intake, a 600 holley (recently replaced the 390), and a rusty old pair of headers. The engine ran pretty well as it was and with the 465/205/4.56 axles proved itself an effective combo.

The more I think about it, the more I want to just go through the entire motor. While it is nice to dream, I am keeping my goals realistic (read; my wallet isnt fat). The primary goal is to get this thing running well again and gain a little power in the process. Thinking of zeroing the deck, doing some headwork (possibly lumps), pick up a DUI distributor (Still non HEI), freshen up the rotating assembly (balance job perhaps?), a new pair of headers, and a cam. I made a post on another forum and it was brought to my attention that Fedral mogul makes some LPG pistons that can boost my compression a little, so those may come with an oversize as well. The 35 year old oilpan, block covers, and valve cover are also getting close to replacement.

I will continue to soak up all the information I can find as I plan out the build. Leos book is in the mail. I will be pulling the 292 in a month or two, so now is the time to be planning. Any thoughts or comments are much appreciated.

Last edited by Conklin; 06/16/10 07:56 PM. Reason: typos
Contributor
Contributor
Looks like everyone is at the big event in Texas, so I'll give you my 2 cents. Yes, the LP propane pistons from Fedral Mogul (980P I think is the number) are available, your machinist can substitute them in a rebuild package for very little $.
Your on track with the carb, intake, ignition. Yes, balance everything including flywheel and pressure plate if running manual. Have your harmonic balancer rebuilt or go aftermarket.
Most will tell you NOT to zero deck. Lumps and bigger valves are cheap power, and easy to install- Twisted 6 or T Lowe can set you up with lump kits. Im using a dual pattern cam from Schneider Cams, there are several cam providers.
Tom Lowe did dyno tests last fall, see that link, and contribute to his efforts and he will provide some good data.
There is a ton of 292 info here, just try to remember it all! Get Leo Santuccis book.

Last edited by Heater63; 06/17/10 02:07 AM.
L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
Zero decking the 292 will put your compression ratio at about 10:1 or better. If you look under "Tech Tips" to the left you will find that most of the late model six cylinder heads are about 72-74 CC. The exception being the early 194. The cylinder volume on the 292 is about 800 CC. You will also need custom pistons to get to a zero deck, at about $600 a set. As Heater63 says that money put into head work will get you more power.

Larry

Ignorance can be fixed Stupidity is forever
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
How far down from the deck are the pistons?

I thought it is pretty far,so you would have to mill the top of the block quite a bit therefore,making the deck surface thin & or weak?

If it's not too far,I would always recommend getting a zero deck or positve deck,or @ the very least,close to a zero deck.

It's all about squish/quench band etc.

It is part of the reason all the LS engines can run such a high compression ,positive deck.

Wonder if the 4200 has a positive deck?
EFY -diy?

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
C
Conklin Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
C
It looks like my biggest gains will be found through the headwork and a new cam. This is good news as I'm trying to keep this cheap. I think I have sold myself on a basic rebuild and any minimal required machinework, along with the afforementioned mods. This will give me a fresh motor with a little more power and hopefully not be too expensive... I have an Lsx project around the corner, and we all know how expensive those are.

I see some basic rebuild kits on ebay around 400-450$. Im sure the cam is OEM spec and useless to me, and I have no idea on whether the other parts are reputable...However, they do say they can build a kit for you. Any experience here? Would be far easier to just get a kit and go. Is there a final answer in who puts together the most cost effective rebuild kits or am I on my own?

Contributor
Contributor
PM me and I will look up what I paid for Sealed Power kit with LP pistons and some machining.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (LAROKE), 80 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GM250at4btdc, fordfan80, Joshbuckman73, 37Clint, Ehb86
6,793 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available