Rate Thread
#4875 09/19/04 01:30 AM
G
Greg Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
G
I'm trying to design an intake for my car. I'm a second year mechanical engineering student so I know a bit about design, plus however long I've been tinkering on my two inlines. I've got the issue of flanges and injector mounting pretty much sorted out. But I'm not sure what I should do for intake runners. Do the siamesed intakes just eliminate the point of longer runners? Practically every inline manifold I've seen uses short runners. But those are all carb intakes and don't have much liberty in design. I've been looking at my engine bay plotting how I can get more room for longer runners but I'm not sure it's worth it. I guess I'm looking for design tipes for intakes. It's a street driven car. Thanks! (i know I'm asking a lot)

Greg
P.S. I was thinking of putting some pics up of the intake to date. It's only in the design stage but since I'm modelling it all in 3D using my college design software there is something to see. I'll try. \:\)

#4876 09/19/04 01:23 PM
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Greg
This is my opinion. As for using the injection settup I don't think runner length is much of a issue But i am sure that it still plays a part.The other biggest thing you have to think about on the runner length is what are you going to use as a butterfly/throttle body to control the Air flow. This/that is where i think the runner length may come into play on your intake design. (Wheather it be One Or even as much as 3 to control the air flow.) hope this helps.
}[oooooo]

Ps I know my runners are not short compaired to a flat intake. Because I built a tunnle ram style intake. and is also carbed.(3x4) I know that this may not be much help to you. But it just maybe some to look at if You haven't already seen it.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 273 guests, and 31 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available