Become a Member
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Contributor
Contributor
chevyguy, to set total timing, you need to either buy or borrow a dial-back-to-zero timing light or else mark your balancer with a new mark (I use white tire pencel type things). The dial back timing light is the easiest way - you just turn the knob on the back of the timing light to the desired total timing, rev the motor until it stops advancing (probably about 3k rpm), and set the timing to zero.

If you can't get access to a dialback timing light, just mark your balancer at the desired total timing. You could get a timing tape for your diameter balancer to determine where that mark should be, or do some math and mark it. For ex: 36deg total is 1/10 of 360, so measure diameter of balancer, divide by 10, and mark the balancer that far before the zero mark. Then rev it up so all the advance is in (3k ish), and set the timing to zero. Once you've done this, check timing at idle and remember the difference so you don't have to rev it up next time.

To get more initial with less mechanical advance is more complicated. You have to limit the total mechanical by building up the stops and grinding them down to the appropriate total mechanical advance. With an aftermarket dist there are bushings or adjustable stops but with the stocker you have to do it yourself. This isn't hard to screw up, make sure you have a backup set. This is the part panic was referring to that would be better to get done by someone with some experience.

Panic has been doing this awhile and gets impatient with us uneducated car people perpetuating the same misinformation over and over and asking the same basic questions then rejecting his advice. Don't hold it against him, he knows his stuff.

"The first rule of overkill: You can never have too much overkill."
"Overkill is underrated."
C
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
C
I didnt mean to offend anyone and i am sorry if i did. i dont think i rejected anyones advice. i have tried everything. thank you for the advice and i dont hold anything against anyone panic has helped me more than he knows! thank you

Contributor
Contributor
I was speaking for all of us WRT rejecting advice. Also, other boards too.

"The first rule of overkill: You can never have too much overkill."
"Overkill is underrated."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 95 guests, and 33 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement