#5315 11/03/04 04:54 AM
M
Mr K Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
M
Hello Inliners

I have a situation here that I need some helpful inpute on, I would like to know if the newer 1983 to 1989 Mexican 292 engine block and crank ( the one with the noticable dots or ripples on the manifold side of the block) are of the same thickness and quality as the older syles of 292 blocks from say 1963 to 1978.

Also from 1972 and up is there a change in thickness or quality in the 292 block or crankshaft.?

Basiclly what I am trying to find out is if its worth saving this newer style of block and crankshaft for rebuilding purposes, as in my case I have made a deal on a 292 out of a 1983 Gruman curbmaster van from an autowrecker, and so far I ripped everthing off the engine, the only thing left in it is the block and crank.
I have the option of takeing the block and crank away in the deal too when they get around to pulling the turbo 400 transmission out of the van later,then the block can just be dropped out the bottom like a charm.
I need to know for sure if its worth saving this newer block for rebuilding purposes or should I forget it and stick to the older 1972 and older style 292 engine blocks to suit my purposes.?

I don't have the Chev Inline power manual yet and in my area some people say its worth it, but then some people say they would never rebuild the newer 292 engines because they say after 1973 the quality of the metal they used for the block deteriorated, if the newer ones are just as good I won't let it go to waste.

'
Contributor
Contributor
'
Even if you may want to put all the custom parts on a seasoned high-nickle content genuine Detroit block later on -- collecting a spare block right now -- is never a bad idea. You can always use it for a mock-up dummy jig, plus all the little spare parts are more likely usable than not. IMHO So I say go for it if the price is right.

I/I #4101
'71 GMC Jimmy 350, sm465, np205,3.73 posi.
'68 C/10 Stepside 292 (.030 over) Offy Intake, 500 CFM AFB,Clif headers, sm465, 3.73 posi.
'67 K/10 454 project.
'72 K/5 rolling frame project.
M
Contributor
Contributor
M
I have one of the Mexican made blocks (casting no. 93411147), bored .060 over, and have been running it with a 4 barrel, mild cam and tube headers for over a year now with no problems.

-magic mike-

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Some say that the Mexican block is stronger due to the add webing on the Block. I have one of each and realy don't see much difference between the two Other then the outter looks(web casting)
Hope this helps.}[oooooo]

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
M
Mr K Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
M
Thanks for all the replyes so far,

I was talking to someone today and found out that all the older engine blocks GM V8s included have a higher nickel content in them.
I asked him what this does and he told me it makes the blocks last longer and the high nickel blocks are stronger.

I did not question his answer more and so I am not sure what thats all supposed to mean in the long run of owning the newer mexican engines.
Does anyone know more about this subject of nickel content in engine blocks.?

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 103 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available