Print Thread
Rate Thread
#73429 01/06/13 01:15 PM
O
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
O
I picked up a 69 OHC in OK and have been disassembling it. I need to store the block/head/cam tower for an unknown amount of time and need a storage bag of some sort.

What do you guys sue to store these long and tall motors?

D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
I found an engine bag at NAPA or Autozone, but it really isn't much more than a plastic trashbag, but more mil thickness. I'd try a trash bag after spraying down the parts with light oil.Squirt into the cylinders too.

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
Greetings . . . My preference is heavy plastic drop cloth sold at hardware stores for painting. It's very thick and holds together well with clear packing tape. You can cut it down to whatever size you need. As Drew said - you cold spay the engine with penetrating oil to prevent rust.

I have even used the stuff to make a 'well' on my work bench so that one can soak large parts in water based degrease and/or Evapo-Rust. A few bricks and some two by fours (for support) and the drop cloth acts just like a swimming pool liner. When done one can siphon off the liquid for re-use and toss the used plastic . . .

regards,
stock49

1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
I think that these engines look way cool all fixed up:

Pontiac's Fantastic Six

O
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
O
 Originally Posted By: Drew, II # 4211
I found an engine bag at NAPA or Autozone, but it really isn't much more than a plastic trashbag, but more mil thickness. I'd try a trash bag after spraying down the parts with light oil.Squirt into the cylinders too.

I guess I could simply use the tough 39 gallon trash bags we have at home and tape them up tight. I am also planning on using a DIY desiccant that I use in a gun safe. Silica Gel Kitty Litter and landscape bags can make what ever size I need. Just staple them into bags and then pour in the kitty litter.

O
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
O
 Originally Posted By: stock49
I think that these engines look way cool all fixed up:

Pontiac's Fantastic Six

They are very interesting and unique. I bought this 69FB 1bbl motor as a spare for my 69FB Sprint. The goal is to refresh this one, get some well needed practice and then swap the motors and freshen up the OE stock Sprint that came in my car. So far this spare motor is looking really good.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 416 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available