Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#6220 01/20/05 06:15 PM
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Hello, I'm new here. My name is Mike. Anyways, I just purchased a 60 Chevy Biscayne with the 235/3-on-the-tree six. It runs OK, but I would like to change the 1bb to the 2bbl set-up from Stovebolts website, the Holley/weber progressive carb & adaptor plate. Has anyone used/experienced this set-up? If so, how does it run as far as performance/mileage. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Also I have an HEI ignition & alternator charging set-ups going in soon (I already know how to set them up) for reliability/parts availability.

Thanks for any help & looking forward to soupin' up that ol' six as I have done too many v-8's :p

60biscayne
Livin' Free with a 3-on-the-tree
#6221 01/20/05 06:39 PM
D
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
D
I had that set up on my old chevy II 194 for 3 years. It seemed to get better gas mileage than the old Roch B. As for performance, WOW! (Nothin' better than a new carb!)

After the first 6 months or so I did not like the way the adapter looked, so I had the top of the intake manifold machined flat and milled out a square bore. I then drilled and tapped the top side of the manifold to hold a steel plate (1/4"). I milled holes for the carb bores and drilled and tapped the steel plate for holes for the carb studs and that worked like a charm. I also kept the stock exhaust manifold to heat the intake. I remember having to modify the linkage, but don't remember how hard it was. I sold the vehicle and saw it at a cruise night 5 years later and the new owner still had that set-up. Made me feel good. Of course no one believed that it was my set-up. Oh well.
Dano

69 C-10, L-6, 3 on the tree!
No p/s, no p/b, no airbags, no a/c, no tilt, just a truck.

"Takes more than a coat of paint to make it at Thunder Road."
#6222 01/20/05 08:26 PM
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
I bought two progressive two-barrel carbs (Carter-Webber, Not Holley-Webber) ) from Tom Langdon and built my own intake (water-heated), for my 4-banger 181 Mercruiser-powered model A. They work great! Much better than the Rochester Monojet carbs I originally used. Starting is easy, the electric chokes work flawlessly and acceleration is awsome!

Lord, let me live long enough to do all the projects I have planned!
#6223 01/20/05 09:13 PM
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Thanks for the responses. I looked through quite a few older posts on carbs & most had positive results with this set-up, so I am going for it, especially 'cause its CHEAP!! ;\) . I have done a lot wierder mods before, so I shouldn't have any problems hopefully. I am going to use this car as a daily-driver when the weather breaks, as it's going to be a welcome gas mileage change over my truck ('83 GMC with a '70 Chevy 307/2bbl/700r4, she aint real bad though... :rolleyes: ).

60biscayne
Livin' Free with a 3-on-the-tree
#6224 01/21/05 12:44 AM
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
60biscayne:
Cannot say enough good about Stovebolt and the products. I bought the Weber progressive 2BBL for my 250 in my 76 1/2 ton PU and noticed an immediate improvement in driveablility. Great product support with the sale. Use the hot water heated choke which comes with the carb...it is worth the trouble to hook it up!! jb

jeff
#6225 01/21/05 04:09 AM
T
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
T
FWIW. I'm using an Offy dual carb intake with 2 Carter/Weber 2 barrels -- purchased from Langdon on my rebuilt 235. Right now I have the engine on an engine test stand. I have already converted to HEI -- Langdon's Mini. It works nice!!! Can't wait to get it the car.

#6226 01/21/05 01:26 PM
F
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
F
dano69c10,

Did you have any clearance problems with the adabter and carb on your chevy II. I have a chevy II with a 194 but was told that the carb w/ adapter wouldn't clear teh hood. Any input will help. thanks

#6227 01/21/05 04:11 PM
D
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
D
Fred43,

You know I didn't have any clearance problems with the 63 chevy II. I don't know if its the same carb and/or same adapter that was made about 6 six years ago. I even used the rectangular Weber air cleaner/filter with the clips to hold the lid. Looking at the Langdon web catalog, the adapter and carb look to be the same, it's probably better to ask the pro's @ Langdon's on this one.

Dano

69 C-10, L-6, 3 on the tree!
No p/s, no p/b, no airbags, no a/c, no tilt, just a truck.

"Takes more than a coat of paint to make it at Thunder Road."
#6228 01/21/05 11:05 PM
F
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
F
I checked with Tom over there and he said he wasn't sure. He said i should go with the 4 bbl to avoid clearance problems. Anyway just thought i'd check with someone who was running that sort of setup.

Thanks for the input

Fred

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 103 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available