Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#6294 01/25/05 10:43 PM
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Hey guys, I got question. I got a 292 I6 with flowmaster delta flow 40 muffler with 2 inch dual outlets. When my engine gets up to temperature or warmed up it starts to have a poping sound when I come to a stop light and its idling. I don't get why its doing that??? Any ideas??

Thanks,
Matt

M
Contributor
Contributor
M
Matt,

I have the same muffler (albeit with dual 2.25 inch outlets) and I don't have this problem. What's the rest of your setup? Are you running headers (and if so what type)? What's your induction and timing setup? And is the "popping" sound coming from under the hood (carburetor) or the exhaust?

I haven't had this problem. I have long headers and a 4 barrel on an Offenhauser intake. It could be anything from your timing to a leak somewhere. Once your other parameters are known we can eliminate some possibilities.

-magic mike-

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Its basically all stock motor and I think i narrowed it down to the 1bbl carb or my timing mite be just a tad high. Today, I drove it to school and it didn't do it but the exhaust sounds really good. Just when it idles it makes a pop sound sort of like when you have backpressure. So, I think thats what it is now just need to upgrade my carb and i have hedman hedders for it but don't have much time since I redoing my 71 camaro.

Contributor
Contributor
It sounds like you probably have an air leak somewhere between the cylinders and the muffler, probably either at the head or between the manifold and the pipes.

1950 Chevy pickup with '62 261, 4 speed.
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Well its a almost new motor only got like 2,000 miles on it

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I found i have a tiny exhaust leak around the exhaust manifold where it connects to the pipe and I think i found the problem. Engines runs great.. I'm happy

Thanks,
mATT

I
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
I
I have read many posts about the flowmaster delta flow 40, what's their sound? its really great?, is It connected with a Y Pipe?, Does not affect the Y pipe with the function of the headers?, I have dual exit pipes with 36" glasspacks the sound its good but not to rough, I really appreciate if someone like you have sounds of their ride with the deltaflow 40 muffler, thanks a lot dudes...

CHEVROLET 1987 C15 TRUCK
292 ENGINE
PACESETTER HEADERS
DUNLOP 295/50R15 TIRES
AND I LOVE IT

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 26 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil