Before I get stampeded with the anti import stuff, let me just say that my 'baby' is a very rare, 1989 Pontiac Firebird SSA with a built Corvette L98 and a pro-built 700R4. A club member approached me with a strange question while we were trying to decide what engine to swap into my car- "What about that Trailblazer in-line six?"
I thought is was a ridiculous idea. The more we talked, however, the more I was convinced. Apparently his engine was built by the same people who built that nasty Nova wagon. He said he was there when they took a 650hp N/A car out and revved it to 12,000rpm. We talked for a couple hours about the in's and out's and decided it is a must do. If the R-154 tranny bolts right up, what else bolts right up?!!! I have an '87 N/A and the 7MGE is a 3.0 inline six with 24 valves and dual over-head cams. Looking in the engine bay, the exhaust exits on the passenger side and the intake comes up from the drivers side and across the valve/timing cover. It is very similiar in a lot of ways. I am the only guy I know that is going to do this (most would pull a V8 out of the domestic engine bin)and I need help. I don't want to take anything out that I can use.

What people do with their car is their business.
Until they pass me...