I want to fabricate an intake manifold for my 261 as a welding/tuning project. My idea is to fabricate it out of sheet metal and tubing, with a bottom compartment for water heat. I want to do it in the style of the GMC 5 carb Nicson manifold but I have a set of Holley 94's I want to use. I want to try a 2 carb and then 3 carb setup.

The question is what gauge of tubing is best and should I use Aluminum or Steel and what alloy. I have a Lincoln Migpack 135, which can handle 1/8" aluminum with preheating and argon or 16 ga. without preheat. Steel, however, is easier to weld, I can handle up to 1/4", but I am concerned about internal rusting. I have a spare head to bolt the whole mess up to while I am fabricating. I think aluminum would be better, in looks anyway. Any suggestions?

Stainless is out since I lack the equipment to weld it and I just want to do this as a fun winter project. I don't want to do any castings or much milling, so things like billet are out. I plan to post my results and plans on the web when I am done.

I am doing this mainly because I don't like tuning 1bbl carbs, I have a collection of small 2bbls, there are no manifolds available for that carb with the big 261 ports, and I don't want a 4bbl either. I also want to be able to say that I did it!

------------------
1950 Chevy pickup with '62 261, 4 speed.

1950 Chevy pickup with '62 261, 4 speed.