TowTruck, what exactly do you do to work at a foundry? What does that mean? I'm taking advanced manufacturing at college and one of the things we're studying is casting processes. I'm just interested in what you think of it and what it involves cause I'm not sure exactly where I'm going after school.
Does anyone know how difficult casting is? I saw a piece somewhere on the net, from a link on here if I remember, on some one who was casting a bunch of manifolds for a slant 6. It didn't look too complicated. I think he was doing it pretty much in his garage. Right now I'm still leaning towards machined flanges and welded pipe sections but the idea is interesting.
As for sealing, couldn't you just cast the piece with some extra thickness along the flange and then have it machined? I'm not sure, I've only been working in our machine shop for a month now so it's not my specialty. And for the welding I think getting a junk head would be best. Just mount everything to keep it aligned. Again, if you increased the flange you were working with you could have it trued afterwards I believe. Just if you were still worried about the sealing. It would be a way to be sure.