Sorry for double post on this topic but I think my original post "knockin on devils door" may have some confused. I called it that because of my original symptom was a knocking sound. The troubleshooting is complete. The cam and or cam gear is loose and moves approx 3/16-1/4 inches out then back in while cranking. It appears that the entire cam is walking in & out. There is only a very faint etch mark in the inside of the timing cover. No damage on the "aluminum" gear, the only part of the gear that made contact was a raised letter cast in the gear face. Should I pull the entire cam out....it was running fine except for the noise which I assume was the gear making contact with the inner cover. Of course I will inspect the thrust washer after I pull the gear tomorrow. I am hearing that I should heat the gear prior to re-install. How? & How much? Torch, Oven ? Then do I just tap it home with a mallet? I am a 1st timer for this one. See my original post for the "rest of the story" Thanx...Duce