Just replaced the cylinder head, timing belt, timing belt automatic tensioner and timing belt tensioner pulley on my son's 1993 Eagle Talon 2.0 turbo w 5-speed manual tranny. The cylinder head is a fresh National Cylinder Head rebuild. The engine block is a 1990 but everything else is the original 1993 issue. The timing belt is tight and all timing marks line up.The problem is the engine will run only for a few seconds and quit. We work the throttle and carefully rotate the camshaft/crankshaft sensor to try to get it to keep running but no luck. Just when the engine seems happy it quits. It just does not want to keep running. I took the camshaft/crankshaft sensor off and rotated it 180 degrees but it made no difference. It has two tabs on it 180 degrees opposite each other which fit into two slots at the end of the intake camshaft. This setup is not "keyed" yet it determines the tdc of the number one and four pistons, knows where the cam is at all times and thus determines the firing order. Does anyone know if it matters which way it is inserted into the cam even though it is not "keyed"? Also, when I put the fuel rail back on it has the tapered base of the injectors floating about 1/8 inch above their ports in the intake manifold with the nozzles down into the ports. It has been a month since I removed the fuel rail from the old head but if I remember right the tapered base of the injectors were pressed tightly against the intake manifold, but I could be mistaken. I am a carburetor guy and not familiar with fuel injector set-ups although I plan on putting fuel injection on my 250 Inline Chevy Chevelle someday. The car never really ran as well as I thought it should and we were hoping this new cylinder head would help but now it does not want to run but a few seconds then quit. My son is heartbroken and I am wondering if anyone, especially if they are familiar with these engines, has any advice. The check engine light is working and did not come on before we tore her down and does not come on now during the few seconds the engine runs.
Thanks, Ken B