I find it easier and less expensive to swap out the rear axles and replace the trannys in torque tube Chevys. If you must absolutlely need the bone stock appearance, the gears are ok but are very expensive when all is said and done.In my 51 truck I used a 70-80's Chevy 4x4 6 lug axle. Only an inch or so wider and available in many ratios.Any 55 and up Chevy car stick trans will bolt in a 48 and up truck.Have a driveshaft made, position the axle and new axle spring mounts and it's good to go, well not that easy,lol.If your's is a car, a 55-57 axle will work as well as the various Nova and Camaro units.If you have a car and the early cars have the floor pedals attached to the bellhousing,you will have to somehow adapt a later housing to accept the 55 and up stick trannys.On my 37 Chevy truck I managed to fix the floor pedals on a later clutch housing with little difficulty.
In my opinion ,3.55's are an improvement over the 4.11's but not enough to run down the hiway at 65 in comfort.A good 235 will easily pull a 3.08 gear with little loss in getaway performance.

[This message has been edited by Tony P (edited 05-07-2003).]

70 Triumph 650 cc ECTA current record holder