Quote:
Originally posted by 54 Bel Air Dave:
I am looking for wisdom...235 dual carb, fenton dual exhaust, .30 over, moderate RV cam, with TH 350. I live in mountains but want to drive 70+ on freeway when I get out of town. Is there a simple bolt in rear end or do I have to go ford 9 " and make modifications.
12/03 A little addl. info... No I am not driving this ride yet,Just bolted up th350 using Buffalos' trans adapter the car is about 2' in the air,I just dropped the stock rearend out and loaded up to go to junkyard lookin, when I thought it would be wise to get some wisdom.I measured my stock backing plate to backing plate at 56" and 45"3/4 cntr to cntr on springs. The 2x S-10 I measured was only 46" to the backing plates is the 4x wider?
I still have the HEI ign,12 volt change and fenton exh system to work out, but man are we havin fun! If you all have the time I can use all the help and encouragement you got. thanks BA Dave

[This message has been edited by 54 Bel Air Dave (edited 12-02-2003).]

Hi
Just went thru this myself in Sept. Have a 53 Chevy BelAir and my engine is similar to yours. Had the powerglide and put in a S-10 T5 trans. Wanted to use a tri-five rearend but couldn't locate on around here. So, used a 73 Nove rearend. The Nove measures the same from backing plate to backing plate, 54 1\2 inches. Had to weld on new spring perches and used longer U-bolts. I used the stock shock mounts. Also used my original springs. Even with 2 in. lowering blocks it still rides and handles surprisingly well. First gear is a little short but out on the hiway it runs 70 MPH at 2300 RPM's. Because the Nove rearend was a junkyard dog had replace the ring & pinion and went with a 3:42 ration. If you are interested in more details you can e-mail @lukelucas424@aol.com.

Luke Lucas I.I. #516