Hi Tatao . . .

I read an article Scientific American or Popular Science years ago about these gizmos. From what I recall they were pretty high maintance in terms of consuming parts that are used in the electrolosys process(to crack hydrogen atoms free from their source). I think it was like every other fillup, the electrodes needed to be replaced . . . yikes!

I am no chemistry major, but as I understand it, by introducing hydrogen atoms into the intake stream they actually react with the hyrdocarbons in the fuel. The effect is to lower the boiling point and increase the explosive forces (which for me read 'lower octane rating' but the article didn't specifically say so).

The article talked about retuning the engine after installing the gizmo -- including retarded timing (after TDC!) and leaner carb settings. This is where the fuel economy comes in.

With a higher compression engine I think that you would need even higher octane fuel to avoid detonation. The article talked about guys running additives.

All in all the guys seemed more interested in seeing how much they could get out of gallon fuel -- as opposed to whether the thing was practical or convenient.

regards,
stock49

[Linked Image from 49fastback.com]