The Edelbrock Performer has air valves above the secondary throttle butterflies. These air valves are supposed to open gradually as the air flow increases. There are counter balance weights on each end of the air valve shaft. It's a one-size-fits-all design and not adjustable.
The Edelbrock AVS is a copy of the Carter AVS that Mopar used on their 340, 383, 440 in the late '60s.
This carb has a air valve spring that is infinitly adjustable so that you don't get that bog from too low air flow as the secondaries open.
Short of buying a new carb, you might locate a spare air valve to experiment with. Increasing the counter balance weight would be the best option, if there is enough clearance in the cavities they are located in. You might also try drilling holes in the air valve butterflies. This would allow a little more air flow before the valves popped open and produced any bog. I've never tried either of these ideas, but given it a lot of thought after seeming countless other people struggle with this problem. So, so much easier with the AVS.
I'm using a Carter AVS from a '70 383 Mopar.
Holley uses the vacuum secondary to prevent this bog on their street carbs.
A 200 or 228 inch may not have as much air flow to slam the air valves open and cause as much bog. My thinking is that if you can control the bog with the air valves, the jetting may not be that far off.

'67 GMC 3/4 292 4spd