After a bit more research, it appears that the useage of the 230 piston in combination with a 7 inch rod would be only .010 below the deck in a stock stroke 292. Since it will probably require at least a .010 cut to true up, this seems like it might be a decent start.

From everything I'm learning via internet searches, it appears that any forged piston for this engine is going to be a custom; even then, only Ross seems to recognize the existence of the inline 6. Any other guidance for piston sources? Any qualms about quality from Ross?

All of the above brainstorming is in pursuit of Leo Santucci's advice in his book about reducing rod/piston reciprocating mass.

52'F3...

The donor chassis is/was a complete and running '82 Chevy 1 ton. Driving 600 miles home suggested that an OD transmission would be a benefit, so we have opted to go with the 700R4. Like you mention, the lowest first gear in the business will also be a help getting the rig moving. The final drive is already fixed; I'm unwilling to change the gears on the Dana70 since it does work well as is, and I'm cheap, too.

My desire to devise a plan to reduce recip mass and raise RPM potential has little to do with drivability; it is simply the type of engine that I like. Because I'm planning on a Megasquirt injected turbocharged and intercooled engine, the forged pistons and the proposed H-beam rods are feel-good insurance.

Because the elasticity of my wallet has dimished over time, I'll probably wind up with a set-up very similar to TLowe's. But, one of the biggest joys in contemplating such projects is the ability to play what-if games. With that in mind, what else would be fun to think about doing?