So here's the deal, I got a hold of a 292 that had been built up as a drag motor. I thought it would be a great fit for my 63 Chevy pickup and have been working on making it a bit more civilized for street use. I've replaced the cam with a Clifford unit, I installed a stock oil pan and pickup instead of a modified high capacity version, and now I've come to the real problem at the heart of the engine.

The engine came with cast domed pistons that use a Dykes top ring and a funky 1/8th inch bottom ring. while I was able to machine most of the dome off of the pistons, I have had a heck of a time finding rings. The engine came reconditioned but the guy that did it put stock rings in which will not work. I could get a custom set made for a couple of hundred dollars but it would be overkill for my application (a hot street motor).

So here is my question; I have a bore that is now very near 4 inches, does anyone know of any pistons used in other engines that will work in the 292? For that matter does any one know of a place that sells stock 292 pistons .080 thousandths over? The biggest I can find is .060.

I'd like to think that there is a cheaper alternative than spending a couple hundred on custom rings for beat up old pistons. any thoughts?

63 daily driver
56 should be done any year now