Quote:
Originally posted by efi-diy:
I thought I'd pass along any useful info on the 4200 as I progress the install into my '51 GMC where the now departed 292 used to live... This will be a running dialog as I find and fix issues.

The GMC has a '78 nova front clip installed so its a front steer chassis.

- the drag link and pitman arm interfere with the AC compressor
- since the 4200 is a deep skirt block the oil pan flange is about 4" lower than the 292 so the CL of the crank is much higher that the 292 (roughly 5" once I get the mounts made I update the dim).
- in '98 GM redesigned the 4L60E to use a longer input shaft and stator support - its about 30mm longer, so the 4200 needs a late model trans to work or these 2 parts changed out. The bellhousing is also deeper by 30mm.
- the distance from the back of the head to the bellhousing flange on the block is shorter by ~3" than the 292 so even with the extra 30mm of bellhousing the back of the head is closer to the firewall than the 292. I had to move the transmission mount forward about 1" so the back of the head had 1/4" clearance. The 292 had about 1" clearance to the firewall.
- the RH engine mount bolt pattern is different than the LH engine mount bolt pattern ( the LH is symetrical. The RH is not the top rear bolt is located lower by about 3/4".
- the oil filter is really close to the drag link need to verify.
- the head on the vortec is about twice as wide compared to the 292, for the AD series trucks it does fit into the firewall recess if you are careful with alignment.
- the noise reduction overcase on the intake mainfold needs to go as it sucks up the last 1/2" needed to get engien into the chassis without pounding on the firewall.
- the engine centerline is almost 2 1/2 inches high than the 292 due to the deep skirt.
- the '78 style frame isolators can be re-used ok, they need to be relocate to center up with the vortec engine mounts. The rest of the mount needs to be fabricated.

June 3 notes:

The engine needed to be moved foward almost 1 3/4" to get the intake mnifold to clear the firewall. This should not be an issue at the front since the Vortec uses a serpintine belt instead of the multiple v belts on the now departed 292.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them