Don,

Come to B'ville next year.. we'll have the opel ready with the vortec by then. I agree that the newer engine need some new skill - e.g. wiring, electrical diagnostics, and computer skills. However the tuning part is the same as is has been for 100 years - give the motor the fuel that it wants and the right amount of spark advance and you make power. What changed is how that gets done. Once an efi system is installed, tuning it is no more difficult than changing jets - instead of turning a screw driver - you tap keys on the keyboard.

For the cost comparison with equal shortblock parts and machine work the head on the vortec is worth the extra hassle of ordering custom parts. It needs so little head prep it hurts when compared to installing lump ports in the 292 - I know what it took to get the 292 done.

I agree that the 4200 is not for everyone here, however, I would be doing the inliners a dis-service if I was not being upfront and lettign folks know whats is possible with this good engine. I'm not sure that I agree with you that the vortec is not rebuildable - its just different. Got a worn hole - change the factory sleeve and piston.

The aftermarket is a tough place to launch a new series of parts, without the demand no one will invest in the NRE (non-reccuring expense) of designing parts. Without parts not many want to use the motor.

Anyway I'd appreciate feedback it folks want me to keep on posting on progress or just let the subject it go.

Marc

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them