My thoughts on high voltage is that if you buy cheap plugs and gap them at .035 it might be a waste of money. On the other hand if you run a high voltage system that continues to fire through twenty degrees rotation (MSD) and you open the plug gap to .060/.080 you will see a difference. The major reason for going to electronic ignition over points is that you don't need to replace or adjust them frequently to keep the performance up. You buy a new car today and drive it 100,000 miles with out changing the plugs with no loss of mileage or performance. In the good old days I would have got less mileage, less performance and spent a lot more on tune ups than we do today. Many things on a modern automobile may be a waste of time but a strong dependable ignition is not one of them. I agree with what john says about the mfg using what is required, and now they have discovered that higher voltage with a wider gap on the plugs works better. That is why a modern stock GM engine has enough voltage to knock your heart out of rhythm. GM says to test for spark place a 4" chunk of vacuum hose over the plug end and then place the wire over the other operate the starter yourself and if all is right you will hear the spark jump the gap. I would also agree that if you are never going to rev over 2000 and you don't care about mileage or emissions and you love to set your dwell then stay with a point system.

Been there, Done that, Hope to live long enough to do it again.
Big Bill
I.I.# 4698