I got my first inliner when I was 14, in 1981. It was a '53 Chevy 3100 pickup with a stock 235 and 4 speed. I drove the truck through high school and college with the stock setup (48 mph wide open), and it never broke down in that 12 years. When I got out of college, I got street rod fever and, replaced the 6 with a mild 350, TH350, mustang II suspension, etc. I still have the truck, and drive it daily. But, I really miss the character of the truck, that is now gone, it just isn't the same ol diehard friend that I bought with lawn mowing money 22 years ago. And, now I have two kids that won't fit in the ol truck for a family rod run. So, I started looking for a new family cruiser. When I came across a barn fresh '50 plymouth special deluxe four door, I passed it up thinking it was two stodgy, the kind of car a granny might drive, and underpowered with a flathead six 218. But it kept nagging at the back of my mind until I finally went and drove it, just for grins. Its been 2 1/2 years since I bought the '50 ply now, and I'm putting it together on weekends and lunch hours when I can. The flathead looked more like a 50 year old furnace than an engine when I first looked at it. I've rebuilt it, collected a bunch of speed parts for it, and have changed it from a 218 to a 230. The engine is almost finished, and is just about ready to drop back in the car. I can't wait to hear it purr, and am hoping it will bring back some of those early memories of my truck. Also, I'm a bit of a rival with my brother, who is a GM trained mechanic, and a dyed in the wool 350 type. If it isn't a blown 350, it isn't worthy in his mind. He fully expected me to deep six the six, and get out the sawzall to make a 350 fit. Needless to say, I've endurred loads of grief for keeping it, let alone rebuilding it. But, it is going to be damn cool, IMHO, and more so than any mail order rod seen by the dozens at every show. I could have done the blown 350 for less $, but it wouldn't have been nearly as satisfying or fun.

Have a look at my project if your interested, at:

http://home.rmci.net/blueskies/plymouth.html

Pete

------------------
Check out the restoration of my '50 Plymouth here:
http://home.rmci.net/blueskies/plymouth.html

[This message has been edited by blueskies (edited 04-14-2003).]

[This message has been edited by blueskies (edited 04-14-2003).]