Quote:
Originally posted by John H. Meredith
Most people I know use seat belts as a matter of common sense.....
Yes, all but a very small number of my friends did at that time too, even before the law came in. But there is a great number of the 'unwashed' out there who want to either defy the law or prove they are better than others or something.

Quote:
.....My gripe is that the law specifically states "seat belt", but the cops can stop you if they can't see the shoulder strap. The Judge will "throw out" the case because of that. Most don't know this & and pay the $250.00.....
I can't see why anyone would have only a lap strap on and no shoulder belt. It's much safer with that.

Quote:
.....Here generally It's just a mechanicism to gain money for local government.....
Doesn't work like that here... policing and fines, except for parking, are all state matters. And, like drink driving used to be, there would be police around who sympathise with non-wearing and turn a blind eye to it... just warn the driver... as long as they got a couple of other things to fine them for, of course!

Quote:
During a trip to New York (up state) I noticed almost no one used them.
You'd never find that here now. Like I said, when it was first compulsory (1970 in most states) there was about 48% wore them properly (that excludes those who wore the old non-retracting belts loose), now it would be more like 98% or even 99%.

Retracting belts helped a lot, but education campaigns and a few fines here and there did the rest. I've diligently worn them since the first car I bought that had them installed... early 1968. Had to fit them to the next car or two, but after that they were always there.

When it comes to legislative or policing moves aimed at road safety, this was the first one ever to result in a significant reduction in death and injuries. Ten years on the second one arrived here... random breath testing. It was equally spectacular, 30 - 35% off the top of the number killed each year. Most people now hardly ever drink and drive, many who do get caught.

There are still a large number of crashes involving drink drivers, however, highlighting how dangerous those few who do it become.

All other legislation allegedly aimed at reducing deaths and injuries on the roads have been totally unsuccessful. Outright speed limits in at least one state saw an immediate increase in the number of deaths.