Hi. I started with a straight sprinter style tube axle but I just didn't like the look for that era. So I took a '53 Ford pickup truck I-beam style axle which has a nice 4" drop to it and narrowed it 6 inches. Then I cut off the parallel leaf spring pads and built a transverse leaf spring mounted suicide style behind the axle. I plan to punch the axle full of lightening holes and use hairpin radius rods. The Ford truck brakes are very good as far as drum brakes go so I plan to keep them as they look more correct than discs. Tierod in front of axle with as much ackerman as I can get. Im thinking exposed frame rail sides would look better than hidden, with a bunch of kick-up in back. A nine-inch rear with a quick-change center section grafted into the center section (non functional). I have all the leftover drag car pieces to go with ladder bars and coil springs in back, but realize a transverse leaf spring would look more correct. As you can see I'm torn between making a period perfect clone or using updated parts I have on hand. Some of those rare old pieces are pricey and hard to find. I will probably end up doing a "20 footer" (looks correct from twenty feet away), a parade car that will be able to idle down Woodward Ave for hours and not overheat. Other features are a four-spoke sprinter wheel, a Whippet grill chopped 6 1/2", and some visual parts like an external fuel pump, leather straps across the hood, stacks on one side of the hood and a big upswept stainless steel exhause pipe on the other. The rear sheet metal will be two '40 Ford truck teardrop fenders clamshelled together to form the boattail, with possibly a protruding headrest (I've documented the latter as existing as early as 1934). A 2 x 4 frame with tapered ends. Not sure about any roll bar - again: period correct or safe? Thats all so far. Got any additional ideas?

FORD 300 inline six - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING!