Hudson,

The biggest problem in flathead modification is compression vs. flow. In stock configuration the transfer slot is the main restriction to flow. When the head is milled for increased compression the transfer slot is decreased in height hurting flow. One newer idea some of the guys running Ford flathead V-8's is to raise the whole chamber roof and then run a hemi style piston that sticks way out of the block to fill the resulting void and maintain a reasonable compression ratio ( serious bucks ). The idea is that according to some including Barney Navarro is the flow wants to go up as it passes past the valve, not sideways, so the roof of the chamber is in the way. Also on this note is that relieving is a waste of time as it does nothing to improve flow even though it widens the transfer slot. Also, a long time ago I read something about valve seat angle and have never seen anything since. The theory was a 30 deg intake seat flows better at low lift than a 45 deg. The reason being that at 30 deg. the face of the valve and the seat are farther apart than at 45 deg. If you do a little trig. on it it makes sense. At .100 valve lift with a 45 deg seat you get .0707 gap between the valve and seat, with a 30 deg seat it is .086 ). Makes sense to me that this would help a flathead since a high valve lift is almost impossible given the lack of rocker arms to multiply the lift. I would like to offer some suggestions on engine building and go fast tips as I go ( I only do this at lunch at work so I don't have much time daily ). By the way, thanks for the warm welcome from you and Bo. Also, where did you get your cam done?

Regards'
Del

[This message has been edited by DEL (edited 10-23-2001).]