It would also make a great turbo motor! All the 196s have forged cranks and rods, and wide main bearings (though only four -- but with the heavey forged crank...). Go for some custom forged pistons and blow about 15 psi in there, or keep it down to around 5-7 psi and the stock pistons are fine.

Yes, parts ARE getting expensive and hard to find. Balancers have to be sent out and rebuilt. It's not a power house, but is a good low speed torque motor. Ready to pull right off idle, but does not like to run at higher rpm for long (higher meaning 2K and above for this thing!).

I used to run a 196 OHV in a daily driver 63 American, and years before that a L-head in a 61. The OHV will cruise at 70-75 all day with a few mods (custom reground cam, 2" exhaust/turbo muffler, open breather). The L-head will cruise 60-65 with just the 2" exhaust/muffler change. It might run a little faster, but that's about the upper limit for steady cruising, and you'd lose a little speed going up big hills (~5 mph). Drop both about 10 mph stock.

The parts situation is why I stopped running one in my driver about 8 years ago. I rebuilt my last one a couple years before that and had to send the water pump out to be rebuilt. Just didn't want to have something relatively simple go out away from home and be stuck with a big bill due to waiting or having to have towed long distance. AMC used Delco or Autolite electrical systems (distro, starter, generator), which use the standard GM/Ford six equivalents (shaft and housing on distro is altered), but you can't pick up a 1960 GM/Ford starter in most parts stores today! You'll have to at least wait for delivery the next day from the warehouse -- if it's in stock.

Frank Swygert
Publisher, American Motors Cars Magazine
for AMC/Rambler owners
http://www.amc-mag.com