I was looking into the turbos from Trans Ams and T Types, but then I figured a turbo from a Conquest or Starion or even a Volvo may also work and I can allocate any of the above for free or really close to it and rebuild it myself. Some one told me a while back that the main difference between a turbo set up for draw thru and a conventional turbo is in the carbon seal. What modifacations are really required?
Not really knowing anything for sure about this setup I figured this forum would be a good place to learn. Looks like I was right, so tell me what you guys think of this plan and what should I change.
My plan for my 250 was to run a tubular header with the turbo mounted below the intake manifold. The a sheet metal plenum chamber seperated into two havlves internally but appearing as one piece externally; the outter half would be the intake chamber below the carb running straight down to an elbow to the turbo inlet with the discharge pipe entering the pressure chamber of the plenum from the bottom and from the pressure chamber of the plenum would be my three intake runners. (metal fabrication is not an issue for me at all) I had planned to run the oil pressue line from the oil filter adapter and just put the return thru a simple bung in the side of the oil pan. I was also planning on a rather conventional 4bbl Holley 600cfm carb, likely upgraded proform body with probably #72 main jets. For boost control I was going to use simple atmospheric venting thru a small air brush pressure regulator on the reference side of the wastegate.
I know it sounds like I am being super cheap but thats because I am; if I have no clue what I am doing I don't want to trash a bunch of expensive parts. (plus the fact that mechanics don't make that much round these parts when you have a one income family) Does this sound like I am on the right path?