Greetings,

I am looking for some advice. I have a dual carb setup on my 57 chevy. I could not figure out how to attach a picture. I do not have my own website at this point either. I will have to work on that.

The two rochester single barrel carbs are remanufactured. They were not the best when I purchased them. I had them rebuilt a few months ago.

I have been toying with the idea of replacing the dual carbs with a single two or four barrel. I realize that going with a single carb setup will require a Clifford intake or something other than the dual setup I have. Then if I go with the Clifford single carb intake, my fenton headers will most likely need to be replaced.

One of my reasons for exploring the idea of replacing the duals is because I am experiencing a lot of backfiring. I have adjusted the timing. The rotor and distributor cap look good. However, I have not checked to see if the valves need adjusting. I will get to that.

My gut feel tells me that the old carbs are on their last legs. Does anyone have any recommendations for a switch from dual to single? I have also priced Clifford's EFI kit. That would require a lot of money (the kit, Clifford intake, and Clifford headers). Right now I am not leaning towards spending that amount of money.

Let me know if you have any advice.