My '64 GMC project is gonna be a low budget primer black hot rod/ rat rod thing.... Tossed around the idea of a V8 for awhile but ordered Leo Santuccis book, I'm gonna do the six. Has the orgiinal 230/3 on the tree.
I already have an HEI and a Offy 4barrel for it, so I'm wondering, If I can only spend say... less than a grand on engine mods to get a little bit of pull out of it, what the best bang for the buck? I've heard the 390cfm 4bbl is a good choice, and will cost $300 or so, Clifford sells headers for nearly $400, summit has a couple sets for $200.... Will the summit ones still be an improvement? People say to go with a mild RV cam.... that will probably be a couple hundred as well..... So if you wanted to get some pep out of the six, and couldnt do all the mods, how would you rate them on bang for the buck? Also would a 194 head bolt on do good as well? And is it crazy to expect 200 ish HP out of the motor with these mods? Thanks, this is the first motor Ive ever modded save for dirt bikes..... Will keep searching but thanks for any input!