the grind is a variation on the crane fireball 316-2 grind for harley evos with the lobe centers tightened up a bit. the cam calculator software i was using indicated that as i moved lobe center closer to 100 degrees on the intake side the dynamic c/r rose slightly (to 11.26:1) and the effective stroke (3.80) moved closer to the actual dimensional figure of 4.1875.

i don't claim to be a cam expert so any advice is appreciated, and i will admit that i don't have a good sense of how well a grind like this would work with the mushroom tappets, only that they would effectively exaggerate the camshaft events to some degree, but also to reduce valvetrain mass in a very cost effective way. there seems to be very little info out there on what to look for in a mushroom tappet grind, or what diameters work well. that's really why i put all this out there. Delta's really reasonable on regrinds, so a mildly experimental grind just to see what works is not out of the question

i may end up circumventing the entire intake and exhaust porting altogether on the head and raise both significantly (milling the entire upper port side of the head away and brazing in a big chunk of billet steel with new ports - similar to what they did with cleveland fords in pro-stock in the '70's . i have several small port closed chamber heads to play with.

i am not in love with the gmc rockertrain either and the stiffeners are a great idea.

doing things the hard way since 1966....