Finally,
I've had the time to get all of my dilemmas taken care of. My timing is right and my carb is working properly (tuned). I thought it was running good after I put the lump head on, but I was able to get the carb operating at 100%, it is truly surprising how it runs!

I want to thank everyone that sent me in the right direction - T Lowe, Panic, CNC, MBHD, Beater and everyone else. This forum is an excellent resource for those of us that are new to inlines - sincerely - THANKS!

I ran into only one snag and it was related to the distributor. When I freed up the shaft and installed new springs I also shimmed the end play to .010". After installing it and running it for 10 or so miles I found an oil leak at the base of distributor due to the shims took too much space and didn't allow the distributor to set on the block properly (I didn't notice it when I originally installed it.) I was a tad befuddled by this, so I busted out Leo's book and reread the timing section. I noticed in one of the captions it said that shimming was not that critical due to the gear direction actually pulls the shaft toward the oil pan. I removed .041" of shims and rechecked. It didn't affect nmy timing and it eliminated the oil leak. I guess that is what I get for reading a forum on HEI repairs for bent engines - you know - the one that are like cow pies.

I still have to mess the with throttle linkage some. I made a temporary homemade setup that I don't care for the appearance of.

p.s. - if anyone didn't chuckle at Frenchtown Flyer's post on the "SBC or Inline" thread, then you need to get a better sense of humor because that was FUNNY!

If at first you don't succeed,
then read the directions and try again.