Yep, there will be a hesitation when stepping on the gas when your pri jets are a bit too small for best acceleration,,, but there are ways around this w/out having to up the the pri jets to get rid of this stumble.
A larger acclerator squirter,changing the cams for the squirter,& other ways.
Might be a good time to pick up a good Holley book for tunning so it could help you out w/the different settings,how to cure stumbles & so-on..

Now,,,Because ,when you were cruising around w/the 53 jets,you think it runs fine & the plugs look good,but you need to get rid of that stumble but want the mileage the 53's are getting you ,,what do you do? You can put the 54's back in & get rid of the stumble,or there are othere ways getting around this stumble w/out having to go richer on the pri jets.

I don't have all the answers,,,& sometimes it's hard to find a good or great carb guy locally.

I always liked the Carter AFB's or AVS's or the Newer Edelbrocks,,over Holleys,mainly because the Carters would just keep on running & running & not get a needle & seat plugged,spewing fuel all over the place,guess it was my luck,but I've seen many other friends have problems w/there Hollys @ one time or another.
Kinda tempermental to apoint.

I always got the best mileage w/other carbs than a Holley.

A properly set-up Quadrajet spreedbore carb will give you a bit of the best of both worlds,good mileage & great airflow when needed WOT.
An improperly set-up Quadrajet can suck up the fuel badly also.

The better Holley carbs will have four corner Idle settings IIRC?
Annular discharge,etc.

But I believe,,,those carbs will be the larger ones ,like a 750 or larger,just thinking off the top of my head.

Old Nascar Holley carbs are good for adjusting the mixtures @ 4 corner idle adjustments.,, cruise, top end etc.

Of course there are people that can mod your carb to do a lot of things it cannot do as it is right now.(Stock)

When buying a nice new carb w/all the bells & whistles, you would have spent $1200-$1500 ,@ that point, might as well go to EFI, I think anyways,unless you would be running in a race spec class & need to use carbs, no EFI,,,, I know a bit off topic but just saying ;-)

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI