First off, snowman does not have much money to buy anything let alone a different trans.
At least that's my impression of our PMs to eachother seem to reveal. Maybe he can reiterate his finacial situation.

I know I dont have money to finish my projects.

I suggested a cheap way to lower the high RPMs on the freeway while he drives to college & back home etc,freeway driving.
Sure, it will look funky w/the tall tires, but installing 355's in the rear is going to raise his RPMs on the freeway,don't think he is looking to do that.
Also, him switching to 355's gears now will drop his ET down to what w/a stock car?

IIRC, snowman has 323's & he is turning too high rpm's going 70 MPH,, yes, that is too high & yes, will get poor mileage.

Running 3.55's & short tires are a bad choice for the freaway , & going 100 miles is a short stint, not @ 3000 RPM's in my book.

With todays gas prices, & snowman is trying to save money ,not blow it out the tailpipe w/those 3.55's.

Snowman needs to drop those rpm's, he is not drag racing his car to college.

He is going to turbo his car & the lowest gears I would suggest him use is 3.42's & a 27-28" tall tire.
He still would need an OD trans w/those gears,on the freeway, but that is all that is needed to run quick.

Running a PG & 355's? PG's are horrible for small engines as far as get up & go,, how bout a TH350 @ least?
Frank mcGurk ,,,,where OD trans around for the old 6 cyl's,pre 62?, did he turbocharge cars?

Snowman is not building an all out drag car that is only ok to drive on the street.
He is building a low RPM torque engine,he does need to gear it low in the rear.His engine is going to think it's a mild 350 SBC,,, for now. ;\)

Snowman needs his car to get up to the more modern age.Eventually an OD trans would be nice,EFI,,,, for sure.

My moms 1973 stock 250, PG, 308, 4 dr ran 19.8 seconds in the 1/4 mile @ 3000+ ft altitude track. Yes slow,but very very nice on the freeway. A TH350 would have dropped the ET quite a bit over a PG. But overall,it was not a looser of every race on the street, & mind you, that was w/a horrible tall first gear of a PG.

Just think when you were 16 years old, ,, did you have money to change tranmission, change your rear gears or rear end?
Did you have excess $$$$ for much of anything? I know I did not.

Buying used or new tires are a cheap suggestion to lower snowmans rpms on the freeway,,BTW, is too high, even if he had a large camshaft,it still would not be in the efficient RPM zone,3000 RPM, paleaze!

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI