Originally Posted By: preacher-no choir

The trip side draft webs can work o.k.Huge under statement because a tuner can easily tune all the circuits on these webers and match it to the particular motor/cam needs-and you have virtually no manifolding losses since they mount nearly directly to the head ports.
A word of caution, It is better in all cases to err to the smaller size-you just cant put a trip set of 50mm webs DCOEs on a stocker and expect to tune the stumbles outta it!
your turn Hank

I would suggest you try out a set of DCOEs before you say, "they can work o.k." They are by far ,, the best carb combo you can run on the street, only thing that would be better is running side draft EFI throttle bodies.

I bought my 48 MM Webers w/a Cannon intake used, for a Datsun Z ,240-280 Z inline 6 engine for $200.00

I knew they were not the correct size for my 250 engine, but, heck, for $200 ,I thought I'd give it a try, what would I lose in trying?
The only thing that I definately noticed that the carbs were too big,, was when I could not tell much difference in power between 3/4 thottle & full throttle. ;\)
The person was asking about putting 3 40 MM DCOEs, those carbs will be really small when you actually find out the actual size the choke tubes are,,, tiny.

So in short, I would suggest anyone to try or use or beg someone to install a set of 3 DCOE Webers or eqivalant & come back on this board & tell us your opinion as compared to any single 4 bbl carb intake combo you ever used.

I am absolutely positive you would never go back to any single 4 bbl carb/intake.

I never tried out a set of 45 DCOEs ,but my car would have run mid to low 13's really easy w/the 48's, don't think switching to 45's back then would have made my car run in the 12's

You can get away with a lot more carb than actually needed w/side draft carbs as opposed to any single 4 bbl.

The actual CFM my 3 48 MM DCOEs was about 1100 cfm, see how good your single 4 bbl 1100 cfm carb responds.

No contest between the 2 scenarios,Webers hands down, period.
Remember my car has & always will be a street car, w/great street manners always being one of the top prioritys.

I have used & tried many,many 4 bbl carbs, & a few 2bbl carbs,,then I install the set of DCOEs.

I do know they are out the price range for most people, that
s including myself, BTW.
I had to buy a Clifford new intake & nice spherical ball bearing linkage cross shaft, & even though I got my DCOEs for $200, the intake was about $200 & linkage kit another $200.
So all together I still spent about $600, & that was a lot for me back when.

Now, I would never run naturally aspirated since I been into blower & turbocharged engines.

To keep costs down for the average car guy, I would not run DCOEs & a turbo to blow through, A plain 4 BBL & a turbo blowing through would be a much better way of making a lot of power & not needing very pricey DCOEs to do so.
Hope this some how makes some sort of sense to some people.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI