Originally Posted By: NOX
I've been facing this same question for many years now, regarding my '68 Camaro. It came stock with the 250 Turbo Thrift and powerglide. Many, MANY people have asked me why I don't just stick a 350 in there. The answer is really easy.

Because you can't throw a rock and not hit somebody's rebuilt Camaro with a 350 in it. They're more common than dog exhaust, and just about as interesting anymore.

Sure, dollar for dollar you'll get more bang out of the SBC than that 6. But do you really want to just be another member of the herd?

I'd say if you like the six, make it happen. I'm personally going to try to swap my 250 out for an LL8. 254 cubic inches, so I keep my 250 badges on the fenders, and I get the better part of 300 horsepower, and darn good fuel economy to match. According to my research, in 1968, none of the available factory V8's made as much net horsepower as the LL8 except the 396 anyway.

Take the road less traveled. Stand out of the crowd. One thing we have far too much of these days is conformity, and nothing is more conformist than sticking a crate 350 in your hot rod.

Well said.