Originally Posted By: jeremy1942
Well that said , he may not want to do the conversion then... He seems set on the 350 as you suggested he knows that.

I am going to list a few things here... I realize engines are your things and I respect that greatly...that's why I am here. That said I am not wanting to do anything new for the sake of doing something new... that's for you guys who have the know how.

- I need something reliable.
- I am not concerned with what under the hood... it needs only to be powerful enough to haul my trailer ( about 3,000 lbs)
- Something that is economical as much on gas as can be (not expecting miracles) and still do the above.
- If it's more expensive now, but saves me fuel economy in the future that is OK
- if its a 350 thats fine, if its an inline 6 thats fine too... I have no preferences. I know I have towed my trailer with a Chevy s-10 with a 4.3 ... so it doesn't seem I actually need the V8.

Is putting an inline 6 (Vortec 4,200 or Atlas LL8 specifically) really that hard? It would replace the existing 6 cylinder 1970's mustang engine that is in there now.
When it is said that we would have to "make much of what it takes" to put the Vortec 6 in, what does that refer to.

Thanks again.
Jeremy

Given that criteria, I'd say find a 3.6 DI out of a Lambda or new Camaro. You can haul 5000 lbs with it and get 30mpg on the freeway. Motors are getting pretty cheap.
Your mechanic would probably be in over his head though. Probably wants something carbureted. Fuel efficient and carb'd? I go tilt, sorry.

Last edited by limequat; 06/19/12 10:42 PM.