Just had a 292 rebuilt for my 68 C20 8’ stepside (spelled heavy!) with PS, A/C and PB. The 292 is basically stock, .040 over and decked .030, Holley 390 on a Offenhouser intake.
I and have not installed it yet (still running my 250) but am thinking of installing a turbo for low end performance and I just think it would be cool! This is a daily driver, frame up restore in black, 3 on the tree with a R10 30% overdrive, 4.55 rear gear and 16” wheels. Not a street or track racer.
Confused about all the options for a turbo. Have seen the GSP GT35 T4 referenced and the price seems right. This would be a low RPM engine 3500-4000 probable so would want the turbo to spool up quickly without the need for high RPM output (low A/R ?). I guess the boost would not exceed 8-10 PSI?? and would make the Holley a blowthrough.
Not sure if I can install a IC but I have a GM HEI ignition and would think something like the MSD 6-BTM Boost Timing Master would be an advantage and/or/both a methanol/mix spray.
Have seen the SPI exhaust manifold (500.00) but would be able to make my own J pipe mount with waste gate from the 292 stock manifold and save $$$. As want to keep the cost down (at least the initial cost) but could continue to add to later as $$$ is available.
And then there are the vacuum power brakes assist issue… where do I get the vacuum… when you let off does the manifold go to a vacuum?

Sorry for the long post but I was trying to explain all aspects of my project and my confusion. Thanks…