Originally Posted By: preacher-no choir
With a turbo, dont you just "dial-up" the performance you want?

The whole idea of wasting a turbo on a six is to make a fool of folks, aint it? 'cause you can sure put one on a V8 and really go to town.

So putting a turbo on a 216-261 series should be a bigger kick yet. You can homemake the special intake (if you want a special intake) easier since they are round to match round tubing.

Their lower ends are a bit weaker with only 4 mains (and only a 3.9375" stroke) instead of seven (4.12" stroke on the 292)--but you sure cant deem them weak, they were originally sized for use with heavy CAST IRON PISTONS. The same bearing area has sucessfully supported aluminum pistons .375" oversize (.125" over 261 @ 3.875") You're not running these things flat out every moment.

You want weak, go with an all out 296 ford flatmotor with their THREE main brgs.

Turbo'd stovebolts ought to be the berries.

Yep something like that. I don't know that I would call putting a turbo on a 6 "wasting" it. as a v6 and a straight 6 arn't that much different. And then there are the turbo 4's

The thing is, everyone into tri-five chevys poo poo the poorly 6 and Id like to have something that would wake em up a bit.

As I understand it, yes, I can dial in the boost I want but I don't want a lot, Maybe 5lbs boost. Just enough to make it a good cruser.