Hi everyone,

I have a 1979 Chevy C10 with a I6 250. I do not know the history of this vehicle because it was scrapped and I rescued it. I know that it runs but I haven't driven it yet because of a transmission problem. It doesn't seem to smoke or anything. I've replaced the starter, the radiator, the water pump, the fan belt, and the hoses. I also rebuilt the carburetor.

I needed to pull the head off the motor to fix some broken exhaust manifold bolts. Since I have the head off I thought maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to install new valve stem seals because it's so easy to do with the head off. My head is a integral intake (2bbl) head if it matters; I'm wondering what would be the best valve stem seals I should use that would not require machine work? If you have a specific part number or picture of what is preferred that would be great - I like to get my parts from my local NAPA.

Also, should I take any time and replace any other parts with the head off (besides head gasket :-)?

I'm sure I learned about valve lapping in high school auto shop class but is it something that is of benefit in a case like this?

Would it be normal to replace keepers, retainers, or rotators when having the head off? Besides looking for cracks, what are some obvious things I should be looking for?

My goal is to get the truck back on the road and drive it daily during the spring/summer/fall here in Michigan. I have a FWD for the winter and I don't want to expose the truck to Michigan salted roads. Anyone have an idea what MPG I should expect? Can I get over 15mpg with a truck like this? I have the VaraJet carb. The truck will be converted to a Turbo 400, it currently is a 3 speed manual but I have back problems so that has to go.

Thanks,

Dan