THANKS MIKE, for your cam story! My 235 "turd motor" currently in my '57 is a stocker - except for the Clifford shorty headers and Crower 260/.450" cam (222 @ .050, lash is .014" across), provides 17" of vacuum at idle for my power disc brakes. Works well with the stock carb and intake, 3.08 diff and 3.11-low Saginaw 4-speed. Having been snakebit TWICE by CROWER parts (wouldn't buy a cotter key from OR recommend them), I proudly wear Schneider's IRON CROSS decals on the front fenders, and their shirts on my back, as their logo dates back to 1964!

CNC-dude - SO VERY TRUE!!! I've thought of having Isky grinding a Mcguirk pattern for me - but soon realized I would be leaving some power and driveability on the table, compared to what engine builders and cam people know TODAY!

As for HP, I recall on an old thread here (I think) that the BEST numbers Patrick was able to pull on his sixes were around .7 HP per CI - that may not mean much without knowing what combos of cams, carbs and intakes he has tried on the dyno, plus flow bench numbers for the head work. One can only guess how IN HELL Chevrolet came up with their factory ratings without calling them LIARS - a mild 235 build featured in HOT ROD DELUX with dual 1-bbl carbs and a mild Isky cam did no better than 125 on the dyno - a far cry form the factory's 140 rating for '57 and later engines. I WAS SHOCKED!!!

- Tim