lowboy, Beater, & CNC - thanks for the kind words.

efi - I'm going with the 250 for nostalgia and simplicity. When my father and I restored the '65 I was a stupid teenager. I begged for a supercharged v8 After driving it for a few years I learned to love it. I don't need 400 hp. With a smaller turbo I should have a fast spool and quick acceleration. With the very little that I know about turbos, a .63 AR may be more than enough for what I want.

On pg. 176 of the Power Manual it is claimed that a 250 @ 8lbs will do between 275 and 437 hp. Is this is inaccurate?

This is the current state of the engine. So far I've pulled manifolds, covers, alternator, distrib, powersteering, plugs, thermostat housing.

A little about my grandfather: Several years ago retired from the GM Saginaw plant in Decatur AL. Not sure how long he worked there but I think he was #1 in seniority when he retired. He was a maintenance electrician. Due to recent changes in family type stuff, he and I are reconnecting after several years of strain. He is as excited about this as I am.

Tonight, grandfather and I are going to pull the head. Do I remove valve springs and lifters before unbolting head?