Originally Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585
It's funny that the Wayne 12 Port head was conceived a few years before the 235 even came along. So I assume it was intended to be run on a hopped up 216 back then.

Indeed. Wayne Horning's design was for use on a 15 bolt block:

completely incompatible with the then yet to be conceived 18 bolt block found on the later design:

Images borrowed from Deve's Antique Chevy Trucks

California Bill agrees with your assessment about the capability of the dipper system. In his book he has a section that comes with a warning "Caution! Blasting. Read With Care." It discusses the reliability and capability of the system when it is setup correctly.

To your question Deuce, the effect on the clearances was somehow counter intuitive. When adding a shim to both sides the clearances did open up - but not by a full .002. Similarly with just one shim fitted the clearances opened up - but not by a full .001 - which is what one would expect. The one variable that I did not account for though was that my original measurements were all done bone dry with no attempts to turn the crank. The measurements taken after shimming were with the crank partially floating on assembly lube. Also, with uneven shimming the placement of the plasti-gauge would be critical. Closer to the shim side would read more clearance then away from the shim.

One thing I learned while researching the proper setup of the mains is that the bottom shells do all the work. The crank is so heavy it essentially rests on them. The clearances in the top half control the oil pressure reading - the tighter the higher. But higher pressure is not always desirable - because it means less oil is flowing. Revealing a trade-off that is captured in the old timer's adage "There are plenty of these engines driving around with to much clearance. There are none driving around with to little."

Thanks to all for the encouragement and praise on the build.

regards,
stock49