Many thanks for the interest in the filter installation for my 261. As a propulsion engineer in the aircraft industry, I am well aware of the fire hazard associated with fuel and oil lines near an ignition source. I have toyed with the idea of building a manifold that would connect the oil filter adapter to the 3/8” pipe fittings in the block, which would eliminate the need for hoses or tube fittings and connections. However, since the exhaust manifolds and pipes are on the other side of the engine, I think that I will just use good quality, ½” (or3/4”?) OD stainless steel tube with AN fittings on an engine-mounted filter. Are there filter adapters with a built-in bypass valve? I would hate to have to use a Fxxx filter!

I am open to any suggestions from members with more experience. I ran three different 261powered Chevrolets (a 51 and 53) from 1958 through 1966, all without filters. I put over 50,000 miles on one of the engines and the rod bearings were going bad when I sold to a friend for a song. After he tore it down, it was not obvious that the lack of a filter caused the rod bearings to go bad, but it looked as if a filter would have been a good idea.

By the way, does anyone know what was the application for the 3733950 block? My 29-57 master parts catalog does not show it for any of the 54-57 261 blocks.

Hoyt, II # 922

Hoyt, Inliner #922