I took some Playdoh and did a clearance check on my '78 Camaro with the '78 250cid with 2nd version of the Monojet integrated head. The oil cap on the integrated valve cover has about 2" of clearance which would be the tightest point between the lowest part of the hood and the raised cap of the stock cover. So if the 292cid non-integrated stock valve cover is not taller than the 2nd version of the Monojet integrated valve cover, the 292 should fit with 0.25" to spare on the 2nd generation Camaro. The aluminum elbow for the vent in the stock THERMAC air cleaner should not be an issue, as the non-integrated valve cover has the vent in the side.

However the delay valve, for HEI vacuum advance, that is mounted on the top of the water neck is an issue. There is only an inch of clearance with the hood there. So it would either need to be relocated to the mount for the EGR/EVAP delay valve, or just eliminated.

The stock Monojet THERMAC air cleaner has limited clearance of only 1 1/16" with the hood. I don't think this is an issue for a 292cid swap if an Offy intake and Holley 390cfm are used. I believe the carb mount would be around the same height relative to the head for the Offy with non-integrated head, as with the Monojet mounting pad on the 2nd type of non-integrated head. And I believe the Holley 390cfm is shorter than the stock Monojet, which would add to the 1 1/16" clearance to allow the necessary 1 3/4" height. And either an aftermarket open element air cleaner, or a 305cid THERMAC air cleaner, would fit.

Last edited by Lifeguard; 04/12/15 08:48 PM.