Success! For the most part, she feels "good enough" to make it through the summer until the overhaul.

Now the details...

Timing: now 8 degrees BTDC with the vacuum line removed. plug in the vacuum and the RPMs go up.

Adjusting the carb

Directions say to start with the screws at 1-1/2 turns, adjust the screws to get best vacuum (when warm, in drive). I don't see any difference in vacuum from 1 to 2 turns. I didn't go beyond 2 turns. I left them set at 2 turns out.

I still get hesitation at very light throttle. The squirters work just fine. I did get two small backfires early on, but am learning how to drive with the fickleness of avoiding that throttle position. Don't know about the jets, the sheet didn't say what they were, only that they were "correct" for this engine.

I took it out for 0-60 MPH run. It's now averaging under 21. Big improvement from 26. I did three runs, on the third, I stopped in a pullout and was getting ready only to see the blue and red in my rear view mirror. Sheesh, what did I do wrong now? Fortunately our finest blew on past me to the emergency up the road. Driving up the big hill, speed still dropped to about 35. I think the engine is just plan tired.

It was 60F out, versus 85F the other day. The tiny two core radiator is still of concern, time to replace that with nice brushed aluminum. It needs all the help it can get.

I hope to also put in the Langdon HEI this summer. I hear good things about that and it'll completely eliminate worn parts from the equation. I like keeping the look closer to original, so will stick with the mini.

The only thing I really need to do is to deal with the crankcase ventilation. In the below picture, see the green painted tube. The new air filter has a place and hardware to connect the tube, but it appears that it would hit the carburetor or the throttle linkage depending on where I put it. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Mark

Mark
'67 Camaro L6-250