Originally Posted By: gbauer
Before tearing anything apart try adjusting the valves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U65dTaEn62Q

Just like that.

I had a similar problem and after reading your thread I thought it might be my seals. Pulled the valve cover and figured I'd see smoke coming from the valve seals when it was running. No smoke. Decided to readjust my valves since the cover was off. I had a misfire at idle on the #6 cylinder. It was because one of the valves was not adjusted right. fixed the problem and now I have a smooth idle again plus no more black smoke.

Hey, certainly worth a try. Service manual basically says do this engine not running, back off until lash (rods move side to side with fingers), tighten until lash is removed. Then turn one full turn tighter.

Obviously, the video shows the tried and true backyard mechanic's method. They don't say much in the video. Do you back off until you get lash, then tighten until the push rod quits turning and back off again?

I was going to run both a dry and wet leakdown on cylinders 5 & 6. Doh! should've done it then as it would have been one more hint about the shape of the rings.

Thanks,
Mark

Mark
'67 Camaro L6-250