Originally Posted By: gbauer
If nothing else it was worth a try. Free is always better than paying...

Yes, definitely worth the try, thanks for the suggestion!

The thing that's got me scratching my head about is that three shots of oil from my little oil can didn't change the readings. "Wet" tests are said to improve due to getting oil down to the rings. Maybe I needed to spin by hand. When from sound the leak is primarily coming from the rings. I did use my rubber mallet and lightly popped each intake and exhaust valve when the lifters were loose. No effect.

But today I remember that there's a cup on these pistons. maybe, just maybe I didn't put in enough oil and that it pooled in the cup and didn't make it to the rings.

No matter, I'll rebuild it. HEI arrives this week, hope to install this weekend.

Hey, at the Chevy All Camaro show this weekend, she stood proud amongst her peers. Lots of interest in the 6-cylinder. There were two other 6's, both completely stock engines and transmissions. Next year I'll be the only one with a souped-up six. :-) Funny thing, though, half the first gen cars there were "stock" V8's. But the book says 51% of '67 were 230's. Hmmmmm, it seems statistically improbable, but maybe the types to bring their car shows are the ones who keep their cars stock and the others just show-off around town...

Mark

Mark
'67 Camaro L6-250