Gentlemen,

When i pulled my 235 engine powered 1951 Chevy truck into the garage it would not idle below 1,800 rpm but otherwise accelerated great up through 4,000 rpm. I fixed the high idle problem ( broken front rocker shaft; not bolted down in the center post, don't ask - it was due to my stupidity.....) and installed a used 261 cam and later a new 261 cam.

With both camshafts I could not get the engine to run over 2,000 rpm, every time I shift from 1st to 2nd it's like the fuel is turned off; the engine coughs, sputters and has zero power/acceleration.

What I don't understand is the truck easily ran above 1,500 rpm even with then broken the rocker shaft and now it doesn't. the engine is set up as follows:

Fenton intake and headers

Two Rochester BC carbs, balanced with a dual carb sync tool

Original series coil, distributor, wires; plugs are three posts which center over the tip of the spark plug. (condenser a problem??????)

Dual, 2 inch exhaust pipes, with LOUD mufflers

the lifters are solid and adjusted by the book

I set the timing by using a vacuum gauge; I advanced it until the improvement in the gauge stopped and then returned to the high point.

the vacuum gauge shows 14 pounds (?) of suction, close to the end of the red reading stating "advance distributor timing" and just before the green area stating the engine is running correctly.

I need all the help I can get,

Thanks,

Ted

'50 Chevy Coupe Deluxe w/ 261
'51 Chevy 3100 P/U 5-window w/ 235