I got the motor as a freebie a couple of months ago and am slowly going through it. The reason it's a freebie is because there are no teeth on about 15* of the cam gear (so obviously, there was something wrong in that neighborhood in the first place).

I have the motor on a stand, upside down. Head off, pan off, soaking two of the cylinders (slight coating of rust due to the PO leaving the valve cover off and the engine out in the rain).

After I get the cam out, I'm going to (at least) remove the two pistons with the rust problem and hone the cylinders. Once that is done, I'll reinstall the pistons, replace the cam gear, verify that everything turns smoothly and fire it up. Oh yeah, and replace the locked up water pump \:\(

One more item. There is 40 years of oil and gunk built up inside the engine, on top of the head, in the pan, etc. so I'll be cleaning those up real well also (at least with a power sprayer). Can anybody recommend a good place in Dallas (north 'burbs) to get it tanked? I'll (obviously) remove all the pistons, rods, crank, etc. if I get this done.

TIA