I got this back from diy autotune when I sent in my inquiry:

For your project I am going to recommend the MS2 v3.0 assembled unit.
This unit will allow for direct coil control on a single coil distributor setup and basic trigger setup.

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/megasquirt-ii-engine-management-system-w-pcb3-assembled-unit/

For your installation I am also going to recommend the MS-Relay board which is perfect for carb installations where no factory relays are available.
$99.00 MSRelay-C: Assembled relay board
$85.00 MSRelayCable: Megasquirt to relay board cable
$46.00 LG-Wirebund: 10' wire bundle for relay board to engine
$17.75 CLTIATwPiggy: Coolant temperature sensor
$22.25 IATwPiggy: Intake Air Temperature Sensor
$9.00 38NPT-Bung_A: Aluminum bung for IAT sensor (Also available in stainless steel)
$5.50 TuneCable: 6' DB9 tuning cable
$22.50 USB-2920: (Only needed if your laptop doesn’t have a true DB9 port)

This option is roughly $820. The BTM is $450 and I wouldnt need to buy the MSD coil.....the HEI I just got has the coil in the cap.

Back to MS....it does seem like a pretty solid controller that can do MANY MANY different things...... Depending on how much of that other stuff I really need, it would help me make my final decision. It's $435 for the assembled unit.... I looked at the BYO version of the MS2 and know I am not at that level to bet the cost of the unit on my assembly skills............

Maybe someone has upgraded and wants to sell an old unit? I don't know how common that may be.....

I just want to pull timing where I need to. MS could do it with a knock sensor. I could use a water/methanol injection system as a countermeasure, but want to also have a method to pull out the timing when knock was detected. If I pull it out preset with a BTM, I still would only be applying a countermeasure. Id rather run it advanced until it's pulled back by a management device just like id rather have a better budget! Haaahahahahaaa! I need a second job.

I got this from FedEx this morning. Pretty impressive side by side.

'71 Chevy Shortbox 250ci
'99 Jeep TJ 242ci
Inliner #5787